Continuous welding of metal strips, edge to edge, allows production bi-metal and tri-metal strips, in large volumes, in which the right metal is used at the right place.
Bodycote uses dedicated electron beam welding machines (air-vacuum-air type) and provides services for producing bi-metal and tri-metal strips to be used for many types of application such as:
- Bi-metal band saw
- Thermal compensators
- Electrical shunt
- Electrical switch components
- Bi-metal copper strips for connectors (automotive) or lead frame (electronics)
- Insert parts of different material characteristics (e.g. mechanical, electrical) into strip material
Continuous processing with coil material for further stamping by press is possible.
Metal joining combinations:
- Normal steel to HSS
- Nickel alloy to stainless steel
- Copper to nickel alloy (resistance material)
- Copper to steel
- Copper alloy grade A to copper alloy grade B
- Steel grade A to steel grade B