Benefits Application & materials Process details
Plasma spray is a thermal spray coating process used to produce a high quality coating by a combination of high temperature, high energy heat source, a relatively inert spraying medium, usually argon, and high particle velocities.
Plasma is the term used to describe gas which has been raised to such a high temperature that it ionizes and becomes electrically conductive.
The utilization of plasma spray coating technology allows the spraying of almost any metallic or ceramic on to a large range of materials with exceptional bond strength, while minimizing distortion of the substrate.
As the technology specialists in plasma spray, Bodycote provides an array of thermal spray coating materials to suit your specific needs. Backed by a customer-driven service, our facilities process a wide variety of component sizes to exacting standards with reliable, repeatable results.
The great advantage of the plasma spray coating technique is its ability to spray a wide range of materials, from metals to refractory ceramics, on both small and large components offering:
- corrosion protection
- wear resistance
- clearance control – abrasives and abradables
- heat and oxidation resistance
- temperature management
- electrical resistivity and conductivity
Application & materials
Due to its versatility and excellent characteristics the plasma spray coating process is selected by many technologists as a process which offers the widest choice of coating materials.
- Fretting wear, spraying of tungsten carbide/cobalt seal ring grooves - gas turbines;
- High temperature protection, thermal barrier coatings -tbcs onto gas turbine combustion hardware;
- Wear resistance, spraying of chrome oxide ceramic onto printing rolls for laser engraving;
- Anti-galling, spraying of molybdenum alloys onto industrial diesel engine piston rings; and
- Erosion/abrasion resistance, corrosion protection – down hole tool - oil and gas product.
Carbides, metallics, ceramics, abradables
A plasma spray coating offers solutions to many different applications in low and high temperature environments.